INTERNAL BUSINESS HACKATHONS
A CULTURE OF INNOVATION
WHAT IS A HACKATHON, AND HOW CAN IT IMPACT YOUR ORGANIZATION?
Think of a hackathon as an opportunity to do things differently…
- Innovate and experiment. Let your creativity blossom
- Try new ideas and concepts without fear of failure or repercussions
- Acquire new skills and learn new technologies
- Network and connect with people across the company and external parties who participate
- Collaborate with others in a team environment
- Make awesome things in a short period of time with agility
Resources with the ultimate skillset contribute to the overall success undertaken in the hackathon. It requires different perspectives to conceive and assemble the overall solution.
Strong technical developer nerds and business savvy team members are a must, though non-technical folks are welcome to join in on the action.
Hear our Transform IT Podcast episode on hackathons!
HOW ARE HACKATHONS DONE?
Before the process begins, generate ideas by sending out a call for topics from employees as well as clients. It’s especially important for clients to know a hackathon is being conducted and they are open to participate. Even if they cannot participate on the day of the hackathon, ensure their ideas are open to be heard and explored.
- Decide on topics: It’s best to choose 7 or less topics from the submitted ideas so the hackathon isn’t too disjointed and there aren’t too many teams.
- Choose the applicable topics: When selecting topics, choose ones that seem more interesting and can be applicable to clients or services offered by the company.
Select champions: Each hackathon topic needs to be led by one or two key individuals. They will be in charge of planning and managing the team.
SEE FOR YOURSELF!
See first hand how our hackathons have impacted our company culture, clients, and overall innovative success through the eyes of our champions.