Power BI Advantages Over Excel
Since the late 1990’s, various business professionals have used Excel on a regular basis. Recently however, many of these longtime users have wondered, “Is there another tool that might optimize my routine?” In this article, we’ll explore Power BI advantages over Excel, which may help you gauge if it’s time to make the switch.
Power BI Advantages Over Excel
Microsoft Power BI is a multi-functional business analytics solution that helps you visualize data, share insights across your organization, and even embed them in your app or website. With the ease of data access, visibility and sharing capabilities offered in this platform, various users are making the switch from more outdated tools like Microsoft Excel.
Most of us are familiar with Excel by now. From college students to business professionals, Excel has served as a traditional data source platform with enough functionality to get the job done. However, in this day and age, businesses are becoming more reliant on intelligent analytics and data interaction.
Power BI offers users working within the Microsoft platform the opportunity to capitalize on a more high-functioning tool. It can even interact with Excel and other data-based tools to ensure a seamless workflow. So what are the Power BI advantages over Excel? We’ll highlight the key components below so you can see for yourself!
Single Source of Truth – Workspace
We all know it can be stressful receiving reports from different Managers, Analysts or even departments that don’t work together often. By building a Workspace in Power BI, you can give your company the advantage of structuring and associating data schema into one place.
- Are you spending too much time building multiple reports for each stakeholder? For example, building a P&L report for each store can be time-consuming. By implementing Row-Level Security you can specify each set of data for a user or group. This means less analysis time needed, as just one view would be built for Power BI to deliver based on the predefined rules.
- Save time involved in moving and sharing data. Data can be uploaded from multiple on-premise sources (Excel, DB, CSV, etc.) or reported directly from multiple cloud web services such as Azure, MailChimp, Zendesk, and Salesforce. Once uploaded, reports are accessible from any modern browser. Power BI also has dedicated apps for most popular devices, such as Windows, Android, and iOS.
- Do you know what you’re looking for, but don’t know where (or how) to find it? With Q&A, users can browse their data by typing questions into a Natural Language capability tool that Power BI has incorporated.
Gif Retrieved From ClearPeaks
- Is your spreadsheet so big that simply changing a cell takes forever? Power BI data model compression algorithm enhances the speed for data manipulation. Once the model is imported into the web service, Power BI brings the solutions of Azure Data Lake Gen 2. into play.
Gif Retrieved From Practical 365
Data – Driven Alerts
- Do you frequently look for specific amounts on your spreadsheet? Power BI users can create rules on specific reports and subscribe to those rules to receive an alert once they are met.
Gif Retrieved From Sal Jason Analytics Blog
- Sometimes we want to get straight to the point with a bar, pie or line chart. However, what happens when we want to look a little fancier in Excel? Power BI comes with various out-of-the-box visualizations, plus a free Marketplace with even more options.
- We know Excel is available on all devices, but is it really user friendly? With Power BI, data analysts can create custom views of their reports for mobile devices. Why search through a spreadsheet on your phone if you can create a KPI view?
Gif Retrieved From businessintelligenceinfo.com
Time to Make the Switch?
Our clients often inquire about Power BI advantages over Excel, and ask us if making the switch is truly worth it. Our response is this – it depends on what you’re trying to achieve! This article has hopefully served a helpful purpose, and gave you some high-level information regarding the benefits of Power BI.
There’s more to explore at Smartbridge.com!
Sign up to be notified when we publish articles, news, videos and more!