What you need to know about the new and improved MicroStrategy Dossier
Have you ever been in a time crunch and need a quick visual to show the boss but have no time to generate it? Think again. With MicroStrategy’s Dossier, making quick, on-the-fly visuals is easier than ever.
What’s in a Dossier?
Released in the 10.9 and 10.10 updates, the MicroStrategy Dossier makes forming visuals and stories a collaborative experience. Think of Dossiers as a dry erase board. You can be agile as well as interactive and find unexpected results in your data; Deliver quick stories to leadership committees, or perform deep data discovery on the fly.
And, you can try out new visuals, make quick changes, and not worry about messing up a crucial standardized report. Although Dossiers do not replace the full functionality offered by the advanced dashboards, they provide an ad-hoc data experience to your storyboarding and visual insights.
MicroStrategy is a member of the Smartbridge Partner Alliance.
With that being said, here are some of the cool features a MicroStrategy Dossier offers:
- Interactive and minimal user interface makes it easy for any end user, regardless of skillset, to build powerful analytical insight:
- Ability to add a dossier to your MicroStrategy Library and edit filters to your preferences and share with coworkers (including sharing your own filter preferences!).
- Comment, annotate, highlight, and collaborate with your coworkers on shared dossiers in real-time.
- The new visual targeting feature makes selecting targets fast and user-friendly.
- Use the Story Experience with chapters and pages to build a case for your data:
- Responsive design automatically fits web, tablet, or mobile screens.
Document versus a Dossier?
- Real time comments and annotations
- MicroStrategy Library Integration with collaboration and filtering capabilities
- Data Wrangling Feature
- Intuitive Visualizations
- Advanced Filtering using Visualizations as filters
- D3 Visualizations (import community visualizations from libraries)
- Storytelling Feature
Document (Advanced Dashboard):
- Pixel Perfect
- Extensive Data Modeling
- Transaction Services (can write directly to database)
- Information Windows
- Formatting Consistency
- MicroStrategy Library Integration with collaboration, but no filtering capabilities
Long Story Short
Use a dossier if you are not a highly technical user: you can bring your own data, it’s not highly technical, it’s user friendly, and incorporates intuitive visualizations. Plus, it’s great to use for data discovery. Use documents if you need a logical data model and pixel perfection, as well as any standardized reporting.
There’s more to explore at Smartbridge.com!
Sign up to be notified when we publish articles, news, videos and more!