JD Edwards Reporting Options – Native and Embedded BIP
As part of this series on JD Edwards reporting options, I am discussing various report tools integrated with JD Edwards. The most common reporting tool at your disposal is the native reporting capabilities in JD Edwards.
The JD Edwards native reporting are the custom UBEs (Universal Batch Engine) you are able to create using the Report Design Aid and ER code. Native JDE reporting provides the inherit capability to create reports accessing the JD Edwards database tables, utilize business functions, and produce tabular reports.
Key capabilities of native JD Edwards reporting include:
- Summary and detail level tabular reports
- JD Edwards data is directly accessible / integrated via business views
- JD Edwards business functions, and smart fields can used for logic/calculations
- Event rules programming logic / workflow / write to work center queues, and email report
- Graphics and visualizations capabilities
- Drill-down from summary level to lower level of detail
- Self-service/ ad-hoc analysis, the reports are static
- A developer is required to create custom reports
In order to enhance the native JDE reports, Oracle has provided the embedded version of BIP (BI Publisher). This product is integrated directly with JD Edwards and allows you to create much more visually appealing reports.
The good news about embedded BIP (formerly known as XML publisher) is that the product is included with JD Edwards tools release 8.97 and greater, at no additional costs. The license allows user to create embedded BI Publisher reports for any data within the JD Edwards database.
With embedded BI Publisher you have such capabilities as:
- Create ‘pixel perfect’ reports using various colors, graphics, and layouts
- Visualizations including various charts and graphs
- Dynamic logic based on report data or processing options to display or hide parts of the report (A previous post discusses how to do this with watermark for a report)
- Translation of report data to a different language
- JD Edwards data is directly accessed via the corresponding UBE report
The embed BI Publisher is a very nice enhancement to native JD Edwards reporting, allowing for much more visually appealing report documents such as invoices, purchase orders or checks to be generated. It is an excellent tool that may be able to replace some 3rd party form reporting systems such as CreateForm or Optio.
Keep in mind this should not be considered a self-service business intelligence tool. Embedded BIP has limitations.
- Not an ad-hoc analysis tool
- No interactive charts or drill down
- Requires a developer to create the report
For interactive reports you may want to consider Enterprise BI Publisher. This reporting tool is part of Oracle’s OBIEE (Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition) platform which we will discuss later in this series.
There’s more to explore at Smartbridge.com!
Sign up to be notified when we publish articles, news, videos and more!