BI Publisher Advanced Technique #1: Check Printing / Sequential Process
Converting JD Edwards’ reports with Embedded BI Publisher might be a little harder than it seems. In this blog post, I detail some of the challenges my team faced in this process and the techniques we used to address them.
During one of our JD Edwards Upgrade projects we got an opportunity to convert JD Edwards’ reports using Formscape to Embedded BI Publisher. We faced several challenges because of the limitations of BI Publisher. In this blog series I’ll discuss some advance techniques we used to overcome them.
In the end, what we realized is that by using some creative outside-the-box tactics, Embedded BI Publisher can meet all of our requirements.
For the benefit of a wider audience I am writing the challenges and the solutions we figured out after extensive research. You may not have the same requirements, but I hope it helps you to resolve your problems if you have similar challenges. It’s tough to cover everything but I will provide as much detail as possible.
Processing Documents Based on Sequence, Not Size
If you want to process BI Publisher (BIP) documents in sequential order when bursting feature is enabled, there is no direct way to accomplish this. JD Edwards processes data and notifies BI Publisher kernel when XML file is ready to consume. If there is a bursting feature enabled, BIP splits the document by the specific data field but BIP doesn’t process the documents sequentially in the order it has received them from JD Edwards. The processing is optimized for performance, so first it will finish processing the documents that have less data.
In order to process and route the documents in sequential order which was required in Check Printing, we had to build/customize the process in the following order.
- Write a BSFN to get the job status of each individual BIP job. It should keep checking the status of the job until it is done.
- This process can be used when you want to process and route the documents to the printer sequentially, or see the completed jobs (printed) in sequential order, etc.Build a Driver UBE on the table which contains the bursting information.
- Create custom Check and Advice Printing UBE’s.
- Submit a UBE (Check or Advice) from Driver UBE for each burst field (grouping) one after another. For example Area 1, Area 2 etc.
- Setup default printer for R07230 and all custom UBEs thru P98616 Application.
Hope this helps with your BI Publisher challenges, look for more tips in my next posts.
There’s more to explore at Smartbridge.com!
Sign up to be notified when we publish articles, news, videos and more!