BI Publisher Advanced Technique #2: Tray Selection/AP Check Printing in Embedded BI Publisher
This continuation of our BI Publisher Advanced Technique series shows you some creative tactics to try when printing specific reports.
This is a continuation of my blog series on Embedded BI Publisher advanced techniques. This series covers some creative tactics we discovered during a recent JD Edwards Upgrade project that included converting JD Edwards’ Formscape reports to BI Publisher.
This post deals with specifying which printer tray a specific report will use when printing.
Specify Specific Printer Trays for Specific Outputs
In order to route the finished outputs of BI Publisher to a specific tray of the printer, there is no direct solution provided in JD Edwards / BI Publisher. For example, in case of AP Check process, if you would like to route checks to tray 4 of the printer (this tray may have the pre-printed check paper) and route remittance details to tray 2 of the printer containing plan paper, you can accomplish this functionality through the following steps. Our client wanted to use the check stock paper for checks and plain legal for details.
Using the Microsoft Word add-in for BI Publisher there is a feature that provides a way to set this up, but BI Publisher doesn’t honor tray settings done in Word when using Embedded BI Publisher with JD Edwards.
Here are the steps to achieve this functionality.
- Get the ppd file of the post script printer you want to print through the documents and modify the file to change the sequence of the printer. Make multiple files for each tray. Create one file for checks with tray 4 as first tray in the sequencing and another with tray 2 as first tray in the sequencing. Here is the example for tray 4.
- Create a folder ‘PPD’ in the resource folder on Enterprise Server and save the both files.
- Define logical printers in JDE. Use alias name of the same printer to define multiple printers of one printer. For example,\\PrintServer1\APCheckprinter
PrinterServer2 is the alias name of the PrintServer1.
- When adding the first one for tray 4 selection, add the APCHKT4.PPD file in the printer model.
- When adding the first one for tray 2 selection, add the APCHKT2.PPD file in the printer model.
- Setup the printers for AP Check programs (R04572, R04573 etc.) to use specific tray of the printer.
By assigning the UBEs to the printers and using PPD files for each printer to assign the tray printing priority you can control how any of your reports print and which tray they draw paper from for printing.
There’s more to explore at Smartbridge.com!
Sign up to be notified when we publish articles, news, videos and more!